History

Company History

Goodfellow & Steven- the original shop
The original shopfront
 at 75 Gray St

Founded by David Goodfellow & Margaret Steven in the centre of Broughty Ferry in 1897, Goodfellow & Steven is one of Scotland’s longest established bakers. From early in the company’s history, it gained a reputation for very high standards in both the taste and decoration of it’s celebration cakes.

David was himself not just a very fine baker, but an amateur artist of considerable skills, a talent which shone through in both the design and finished quality of his cakes.

Through the following three generations of the Goodfellow family, the company have succeeded in maintaining this reputation, and today, with a highly skilled and versatile team of decorators working for us, we are more than able to design and produce cakes to match the huge variety of decoration styles desired by today’s customers.

In addition to Celebration and Wedding Cakes, the fourth generation of Goodfellows, Martin and Andrew, manufacture and retail a wide range of fine quality Scottish Baking, ensuring that the Goodfellow & Steven name is one that is synonymous with quality.

David Goodfellow 1871 to 1941, co-founder of Goodfellow & Steven with Margaret Steven

David Goodfellow 1871 to 1941

An original cake design by David Goodfellow from our 1907 Wedding Cake Brochure

One of David's Cake designs from 1907

 

To find out more about the history of the business, the family and Broughty Ferry, go to the menu choice named "Bread In The Bones" at the right hand side of the page, and download our company history book "Bread in the Bones" written in 1997 on the occasion of our centenary by David Goodfellow, the company Chairman, and grandson of the founders, David and Margaret.